Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I'm going to need a new goal

picture is courtesy http://wrenhandmade.typepad.com/wren_handmade/2009/03/finally-im-back.html click here to see her whole beautiful space.

Great things do happen. You find out that someone you've met is from your hometown. You win a raffle (prize doesn't even really matter). Someone you like, likes you back. You find a 20 in your coat pocket. You rediscover something great, like it was the first time. You have a breakthrough while learning to crochet. You get the idea. Save for the wee hours of this morning, I've been on a bit of a winning streak. Vacation, good vintage finds, egg decorating, Birthday etc. And then came yesterday afternoon....


It was my first day back to work after vacation and the day had a nice up-tempo pace plus it was the day when they post your name on the Birthday Board at work so that all day, people are nice to you and wish you nice things. You get tricked into a mysterious"meeting" in the boardroom only to give you a yummy cake in a group of the available people from the office that like you most. I was on a roll. I was feeling sufficiently celebrated as the day wound down and I was imagining a low key evening with my family and a few characters that I consider family.


I arrive home to find Ginger's car is in my driveway and conspicuous, recognizable bags of "yet to be sorted" items from my sewing room are piled on the sidewalk. Could this be happening? I approach my house nervously. If what I suspect is true, how will I properly convey my appreciation? I open the door and hear Ginger's excited voice welcome me from what used to be my yet-to-be-converted studio space. The other half of the dynamic duo is Greg. The two of them have been going to town organizing, culling and tidying the chaos that was my designated and disastrous space. To properly tell this story you need to understand that it would have absolutely taken 5 adults, 8 hours to scrape the surface of what needed doing. I could have cried. The joy of not having to face this alone. This task so much bigger than I. This unimaginable hill that I no longer had to climb. I was elated. Ginger and Greg did a beautiful job of enthusiastically touring me through the drawers and cupboards and all of the carefully considered places chosen for my glue and staple guns, tape, pinking shears, pins, trim, yarn, patterns and fabric. Shelf installed, holes masked. The works. The evening erupted in to my favourite feast of baby back ribs on a bed of garlic mash (thank you Rich!) with bottomless Prosecco for everyone. This whole blog started with wanting to have a space where I could explore the crafting part of me. Once finessed, I'll share the final outcome. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and hang out in the room that makes me feel like I found 20 bucks in a coat that I won at a raffle that I attended with some fantastic person who likes me back and is from my hometown.

4 comments:

ramona said...

Time for a party in your new sewing room?!

me said...

Ya I was going to do that. I took one look and said f**k it, I'll buy her something shiney.

Unknown said...

it takes a certain kind of person to let someone root through your shit. you were lovely and gracious as always.

JustbeFRANK said...

Nice work Greg and Ginger,

We all love you for this, but you have only just begun... When you going to come over and get started on Lisa's shoe and purse collection?

BTW, has anybody seen my grapplegrumman bindlerotor thingymajigger? I could have sworn it was around here somewhere...

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin