Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Ode to a Purse


I thought I owed it to myself to blog about my favourite purse. I made it. I put it away every spring in a plastic crate with the wool turtlenecks and cords and pull in out again every fall.  Happy to be reunited. Happy to face another fall/winter together.
I have the debate every fall. Is it time to retire it? Is it over (from a fashion perspective-not the relationship way)? Yet, when I’m feeling dowdy and badly assembled, I pull it out, put it on my shoulder and I feel dressed. The real reason that I haven’t retired it is that I keep getting compliments. I’m a sucker for the compliment even if they are actually just reactions to the fact that I'm wearing some feathers over my shoulder. I owe this purse such a debt of gratitude that I felt compelled to pay it proper homage. It also photographs well and I'm discovering that blogs are a lot about the pictures. Also, my good friend Stephen only likes blogs with lots of  pictures and I'm still trying to make up with him for not mentioning him in my first entry (see comments on "All I wanted for Christmas").I made this purse out of an existing bag that I bought on an autumn trip to the Aberfoyle Antique Market. The bag had a piece of rope as a handle and was exactly the wrong size. I made it smaller (to match the Fendi bag proportion of the moment). It was these Fendi bags that woke me up to the notion of the fashion purse. The expensive covetous accessory of the moment. I hadn’t really thought much of bags before then. Before kids, marriage, mortgage and real career trajectory. There was drinking, manicures and dreaming about the future. The future is here and so is the bag. For another season at least.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin