Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Cat Pee and the Couch

I love this couch. I love the colour, the design, the scale, the fabric, the buttons, the legs. I love everything about it. I think I love the people that have this couch, I love their floor, their lamp. I want to be them and live happily in the room where this couch is. The couch that is in our livingroom now is giant and very dark green and is covered in many spots which could make for a very entertaining game of Name that Stain. I took a course at the workroom recently to learn to make expert "box cushions". The course was excellent, the instructor-knowledgeable and lively, the participants were talented and enthusiastic sewers. It was an overall great experience. We needed to bring the cushion (foam, feather etc.) that we wanted to cover and the fabric that we wanted to use. Some time in the last 2 years I thought that this monstrosity of a couch was a good candidate for a makeover and bought 10 yards of white canvas. The morning of the class, I grabbed the cushion and the canvas. The cushion, it turns out, is badly mis-shapen and the canvas has a good bit of cat pee on it.Sidenote: most fabric surfaces in our house currently, recently or in the future have circles of cat pee on them. He sprays it to hit about twelve inches off the ground and thus things like laundry baskets and bed skirts are prime targets. As apparently are the many yards of fabric in my sewing room. As the class gets underway and everyone is cutting frantically I carelessly cut the ample fabric to include the yellow stains. I've since washed this cushion cover and restuffed the insides and have made peace with the outcome. The piping is well installed, the zipper looks pretty expert with it's posh little pocket (if I do say so myself!) and the canvas is more lovely than it was before it was given this new life. All of this goodness and all I can think about is my new life with the blue velvet button-back couch and all of the fun times we're going to have together. I can picture the cat pee on it now.

1 comment:

me said...

Hey thats my living room!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin