Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Letter to Summer:

Dear Summer,

There is something so beautiful about your late August light. I'm sorry that you're leaving. I have enjoyed you this year. I am so happy to have had two full weeks to explore the glory of our special Island with my children. I'm happy to have this week to get my tasks done and then head back to the Island for one more romp still in your sights.

I'm sorry that weren't around much this year and that people said such mean things about you. It took me a long time to love you but I'm happy to say that since I met the not husband who is a huge fan of yours, I have loved you too. This year especially.

Thanks for shining sun down on me while I read my September Vogue and learnt about what I'm going to wear when you are officially gone. I don't know if you've heard but for the second fall/winter fashion season in a row people will be granted permission to wear their summer shoes with tights underneath. I will think of you every time I look down at my feet and have to pretend that I can see my pedicured toes like I can now.

Thank you for the rain that made our new sod (free from our neighbours) grow and grow and grow and made my geraniums and petunias and marigolds huge and vibrant.
Thank you for the spectacular thunderstorms that made Otis seek cover trembling under the blankets and that made us remember great Nicholas who would cry his labrador cry and try to climb in the bed too. Thanks for the pelting sound of the rain on the tin roof. I love that you kept us guessing and made us carry umbrellas and SPF.

I have enjoyed the gloriousness of the feeling of reaching for a sweater for the first time in months. I love the resolutions that I make in the late summer and the lists of fall clothes I want to buy/make can be found on my desk, next to my bed, in my purse.

Thanks for only making it necessary for us to turn the air conditioning on a few times saving the whole world a few kilowatts. Thanks for being good weather every time I really needed it.

Don't believe all of those things that people said, you did just fine, you were perfect. I accept you just as you are. Have a good winter in Australia, I'll see you next year.

When we see each other again: I will be wiser and will have had my hair coloured ten times and cut twice, my kids will be taller, Graydie won't sound like a baby or be nearly as blond, I will have had surgery and had questions answered, the great, amazing, lovely Yasmin will be a mom, Ramona will have made her beach house even more spectacular, Ginger will have lost another key on her macbook and made her new house a place of wonder and happiness, Shelley will have done her many traditions, Martha will have had her hands full as Kate began to move move move, Laura will have made us laugh about how much she hates the winter and needs a hot vacation , Tricia will have taken another risk, Greg will have finally played road hockey, Stephen will be overwhelmed by all of the winter clothes that he forgot about.

And we will come together many times and celebrate and be further recessed or recovered and be sad and happy and say hello and good bye and wish that summer were here again.

Many thanks and much love,

L

3 comments:

JustbeFRANK said...

I love this. Sad to hear it said— that it is on its way out I mean, but I love how you are so well served by the passing season and grateful for all of it.

ramona said...

Dear Liza,
Tell summer to come back for just a few more weekends - please and thank you.
Love,
Mo

me said...

Are you talking to a Season? Hey if ya need someone to talk to give me a ring.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin