Saturday, April 11, 2009

Ginger and Spice and 10 or 11 things Nice


Ginger is interesting. This usually means mousy or unattractive but in this case, it does not. It means that she is an artist, architect, mother, step-mother and  student of the world. She has a heightened sense of justice and is sensitive to the point of handicap. She inspires me and all of those in her world and she is the only person that I know who loses her keys, cell phone and wallet as much as me.  When I asked her for a list, this is what she gave me:

1.Raindrops on roses

2.Whiskers on kittens

3.Bright copper kettles

4.Warm woolen mittens

5.Brown paper packages tied up with strings

6.Cream colored ponies

7.Crisp apple streudels

8.Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes

9.Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes

10.Silver white winters that melt into spring

Then I said "Seriously, can you give me a list?" And she gave me this: I'd like to introduce you to Ginger.

 1. Spring

 Every winter I turn into a troll, I take up residence under a bridge and terrorize innocent Billy goats looking for greener pastures. I occasionally venture onto the bridge only to consider jumping off. So now that March is behind us it’s time for me to shed my inner troll and embrace my number one favorite thing: Spring. Spring is the best makeover ever, it is the time we celebrate cute things like bunnies and little chicks, (code for baby making) it is when we celebrate Easter (Also one of my favorite things) and clean the random garbage out of our lives so that we can buy more. They say that Canada has only three major problems: January, February, and March, I endure them, reluctantly, because I know the pay off is coming.

2. Yard Sales

One harbinger of spring is the ubiquitous (the word ubiquitous is on my list of least favorite things) Toronto garage sale. What could be better than snooping through someone else’s stuff? I love the insane tradition of haggling over fractions of dollars, for things you neither need, nor really want. I love that some people will practically give all their old shit away, and others want you to remortgage your house to be the lucky new owners of great aunt Lily’s salt and pepper shakers. And what does one do with all of the random trinkets once bought from someone else’s front yard? Why have a garage sale of course, and the cycle continues. The truth is that I rarely ever buy anything, and I have never hosted my own garage sale, but I love that people are willing to set up their junk on the front lawn and expose it to the judgment of the world.

3. Photoshop

I am without words when it comes to the premier photo-processing program. It is by far the most complex and flawless program I have ever used. I am humbled by its greatness. Ironically I have no picture to accompany this.


4. Running

If I were asked to make a list of things I hate, running would be on it. It is the activity I feel most ambivalent about. It’s too hard; its lonely, it’s too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter but, there is nothing like pushing through to the other side. Not only do I love the way it makes me feel, but also running is a survival skill…assailants eat my dust.  And finally, unlike most other sports there are no rackets, gloves or arenas, nothing needs to be frozen or groomed, it is just me against the world, and I find nothing more exhilarating or terrifying.   


5. Don Draper

6. Cake

Cake is wonderful in every way. You can fill them with cream, ice them, mold them into shapes, or stick your fingers in the batter.  One of my favorite recipes is the All in a Pan Chocolate Cake, my four year old can make it. The best thing about cake is that it makes people smile, especially if you put a candle in it.


7. My New House

I just bought a new house, by any western standards it can only be described as a shit hole. The idea of spring-cleaning was not one familiar to the previous owners; in fact, the idea of cleaning in any form was entirely foreign to the occupants. Harry and George, lived in the house for eighty-five years leaving an ungodly mess, but they also left their vibe of intellectual curiosity, their love of music, appreciation of art, and their community spirit, that has already become a thing of legend. We plan to take many things out of the house; those qualities are not among them.

 

8. Dragonette

My sister’s awesome rock band. I love my sister and I love this band, and I’m convinced these two statements are not interrelated.

9. My kitchen

There is nothing like having the right tool for the job. I love to cook, and this kitchen is the right tool for the job.


10. My bath

Bath time can be a harrowing time for some families, not so for us; let me set the scene. I am lying on the bed with a book as I watch the children splash around joyfully in the warm water and bubbles. While bathing, my children are indulging in their dvd obsession de jour. The French doors to the deck are open letting the late afternoon breeze in to freshen the air. And finally, just out of the corner of my eye, I can see my husband doing a load of laundry in the background. There is no greater luxury.


11. My husband

He made me write that. Also, I will be featured heavily on his list so I didn’t want the relationship to appear imbalanced.

p.s. Douglas asked if I was writing my memoirs or a list of my favorite things. I said I didn’t understand the question.

6 comments:

Rembrandt said...

Ginger, I need you to have my baby!

Liza said...

hey rembrandt,
your identity is showing

me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
me said...

Trip Trap Trip Trap
"It’s only the second Billy-goat Gruff, and I’m going off to the hills to make myself fat,Wait until the big billy goat comes – he’s much bigger."

Unknown said...

Rembrant, I call you when I ovulate.

ramona said...

love your guest blog Ginger...I would love to be just like you...love your kitchen...love your bath...even your new house...you can keep Rembrandt all to yourself though!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin