Friday, February 20, 2009

The day off superhero



It's been a common theme in my blogs that my 9-5 is a bit stressful right now. I think just about everybody is feeling this way at the moment and there doesn't appear to be an easy fix coming anytime soon. I've never been terribly comfortable with vacations, days off or even leaves like maternity. I call the office, I hypothesize about all the many things that could be capsizing in my absence that will eventually result in my termination on the day that I return to the office rested and tanned. Needless to say that this is not healthy and suffice it to say that the volume is cranked way up on this sentiment during this chaos that is known as the recession. While the economy impacts a lot of things what it doesn't seem to impact are the children's needs. The birthday parties, the nosebleeds, the bed wetting, gymnastics, swimming and ballet lessons and the discipline issues which surface everyday. But forge ahead we must and today, I'm taking a day off (applied for, approved electronically, submitted to payroll for tracking and presto! I'm off). Number of times I'm going to call the office today:1-5, number of times I'm going to check my inbox: 5-10 and the number of things I should be fully focused on that are not work related: 1000. So today, after this entry I'm going to turn my attention to my daughter's 5th birthday. The brunch with family  is on Sunday and my tactic usually is to decorate the house in some pleasing way so that people will not notice the debris, dust and general disrepair of our old but lovable house. I am: recipe sourcing, grocery list writing, inspiration-seeking, thoughtful  gift buying, loot bag assembling, work forgetting super mom. And if I'm a super hero, the recession is affecting more than I thought. Is it wrong to want a drink?

3 comments:

JustbeFRANK said...

Cheers, to you Lisa, now lets not forget to have a great time with all of this day off, party planning stuff. Lets make this as much fun as the party itself!

me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
me said...

hear hear

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin