Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Tuesday Look: The Evolution of the Little Black Dress

This weekend officially kicks off the Christmas gathering season. My practical side always craving an investment black dress for these such occasions. My impractical side dismissing the dress as boring because if I invested in it, I chose something classic. I am already turned off by the wearability of it. So here on the night before the night before the night before I wish I'd thought about it earlier I'm thinking about it. What is the perfect holiday attire? Let's assume for argument's sake that it might be something simple and black. Here are some new iterations of what was once known as the Little Black Dress.
1. Sequin mini by Ashish. There are a lot of sequin dresses on the racks out there this season but not all of them are as perfectly fitting as this. Ruled out for: length and the fact that it is best with bare or hosed legs, neither of which I would feature on the first snowy cold Saturday of December.
2. Halston studded pant suit. Almost a clear winner. Ruled out for: price and the necessity to further invest in a blazer for the shy moments early in the night.

3. Diane von Furstenburg wool wrap. Stephen bought me my first Diane von Furstenburg wrap dress the year there was the massive revival of dvf. I took it back after Christmas and enjoyed the advantage of 50% off and bought another. They are outstanding and comfortable and make you feel feminine and ready for business all at the same time. Another to keep the other legacy closet members company would be nice. Ruled out for: not shiny enough.

4. Theory shirt dress. I just plain love this and wish that I could wear it tomorrow. Ruled out for: wishing that I could wear it tomorrow.

5. Elizabeth and James Luna V-back sheath. This is probably my favourite. I like many things about it including the zipper down the back and the likelihood that it would lovely with some shoe booties and earrings with their own postal code. Ruled out: because the reality would never be as delicious as the imagined.

What are you wearing?

3 comments:

me said...

i pick the first one.

SWJ + LRB said...

Oooh...I would wear the Elizabeth and James one for sure. This season I promised myself I would wear something shiny and sparkly...but have yet to find it. Thanks for the great inspiration!

edie said...

Love the pantsuit. love. it.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin