Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tuesday Look: Another Shoe Mistake


I spent the workday in a version of these shoes today. They were the knock offs of the knock offs of these YSL Trib Two Double Platforms that Rachel Zoe and Victoria Beckham have been teetering around on for months. Ironically, I was also waiting for the assistant from my doctor's office to call me with the referral to the chiropodist. Literally. Turns out the Posh and I are both suffering from the same malformity of the pedi variety. I can't name it because it automatically calculates my age as however old I really am plus 25 years. But I digress. It's Tuesday and here's a bit about my day.

6:30am rise and determine which of my three children is in the bed next to me, head downstairs for coffee, assist with dressing youngsters, drink more coffee, say good bye to family except not-husband who I am mad at.
7:30am shower, dress, look for mascara, find mascara, find there is not enough mascara, choose lip colour based on accessibility
8:10am head downstairs to find coat, purse, keys and discover that shoes feel a little loose, remember that I have gel insoles in my purse, vow to insert them in the car on the drive to work
8:40am arrive at work having not installed insoles, clip my stiletto flip flops through the parking lot and pray that the solution in my purse is actually a solution, regret decision to take the stairs to my third floor office
8:50am install remedy, try to run to meeting but heel slap my shoes the whole way to the second floor boardroom
9:00am sit in meeting, listen intently, learn things talk about holiday and consumer spending and facebook as a mechanism of self branding and promotion and dream of the google searching that will lead me to some kind of shoe comfort
10:00-12:00pm answer phone, talk to many, many people who need to discuss things like remaining vacation time, discipline issues and professional development budgeting, I sign invoices for flowers, respond to many emails, talk to recruiters- all with my shoes off
12:15pm order lunch and eat at my desk because I can no longer walk around, install heel grips that I have ordered to arrive with my lunch
12:30pm hate my new heel grips, remain in my office responding to more phone calls, hire an employee, have a conference call about an employee who is moving to a new location, talk to that employee, remain in my office, shoes back on my feet as ornaments only
3:00pm have a meeting in my office with a colleague who always has on nice shoes, today to make matters worse, she sat across the desk from me, in her stunning over the knee flat boots looking comfortable and fashionable
3:45pm daycare calls - youngest son is crying has a fever and it's rising, arrange to leave work, call a cab, talk to the team, tell them I'm going, get ready to rush and remember that these shoes are going to slow me down, not to mention that I don't think that I can face the lovely, vibrant, sporty, appropriately dressed care givers in these bad idea costume pumps, dive into the bottom drawer of my desk and find some passe slingbacks that are out of season, out of style and are a fashion crime unto themselves but when I slip my feet in, I want to marry them
4:00pm explain to my boss that I am leaving to retrieve my sick son, run
4:45pm arrive at daycare find my son burning up, red cheeked and weepy, I float in and whisk him up like a super hero and dash back to the cab, call in to a conference call, whispering directions to the cab driver and words of comfort to my son while weighing in to the call on important matters as appropriate, arrive home phone still on my ear, medicate son and pour him in to bed, slip off my back up shoes and kiss them quietly wishing I had a cold bottle of Prosecco to wash away another shoe mistake of this working mother. Maybe the chiropodist will call tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lit girl said...

Liza ... I laughed and laughed ! Oh my God this is sooooo well written ! I loved it . You should have this published in a magazine . I can just hear your voice ........seriously had tears in my eyes picturing it all :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin