Friday, December 11, 2009

The Cheese ball

I don't like to cook. I have always had the good fortune of finding myself in situations where the roommate, husband, boyfriend or not-husband knew how to cook and well. It's almost a requisite because of my immense mental food preparation handicap. That said, I do have a specialty and it's the Festive Cheese ball. I serve it at celebratory gatherings to the point of producing no less that 8 per annum.

Like any good cook (but not one), I share the recipe, experiment with it, deconstruct and reconstruct it and generally feel a sense of pride when people try it for the first time and ask for the recipe.

The lovely Mel has been hounding me for the secret behind the cheese ball for months and this post is for her. Mel, you are enough a part of the family that I dedicate this post to you. Go ahead and make the cheese ball, you've earned it!

For the rest of you, try serving this ball of cheesy goodness with a side of red seedless and a variety of zsa zsa crackers and people will be asking you for the name of your caterer.

Ingredients:
  • small package of Roquefort cheese (available from the blue cheese section of your grocery store and is in a triangle shaped package)
  • package of cream cheese
  • block of old cheddar cheese
  • green onions
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • Tabasco sauce
  • chopped pecans
Method:
  • Combine equal parts of cream cheese (about half of a standard block) and Roquefort. This is easiest at room temperature.
  • Finely chop 2-3 green onions and add to the cheese mix.
  • Grate old cheddar in the equal amount of the cream cheese and Roquefort combined.
  • Add Worcestershire and Tabasco to taste (zippy is good).
  • Once the mix is well combined (hands work best) form into a ball and roll in chopped pecans and wrap in saran and refrigerate for 24 hours.
  • Serve at room temperature.
  • Wait for the compliments.
If you have a cheese ball recipe that you'd like to share, I'd love to hear from you. Happy entertaining!

3 comments:

me said...

Your Pumpkin Cheesballs were delicious!

COCAMIA said...

I need to try this...thanks!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin