Saturday, October 3, 2009

Mel's List and the inspiration of my family

I love the reality of multiple generations co-existing the way they do in families. There is my dad who is eighty-five, full of wisdom and knowledge and the sensitivity to aging that he teaches my kids. Then there are my four twenty-something brothers. As I met them later in life through the miracle of the Adoption Disclosure Registry and one very dedicated Children's Aid worker, I am grateful everyday for my relationship with their special fraternity. They keep me connected to all things Gen Y. But it's their girlfriends that make me feel like I have sisters (minus the competition). One such pseudo sister who keeps me in the latest nail polish shades and the right height heel and the correct shaped toes on my pumps is Melissa. Here are her loves of the moment.

Big Sassy Hair! I love big hair....60's inspired hair. Teased, back combed and curled to new heights. I think women should embrace their locks, put the flat irons away and showcase what your mama gave ya!

A well organized closet. Easy to find inspiration makes me feel ready for any day. I like to be able to see the accessories, shoes, jackets, scarves, earrings, and whatever else I need to feel ready to face the world.


Heels. With my 5'2 frame, I could always use some extra height. I have a great appreciation for shoes...I mean, a great appreciation. If I'm ever feeling crappy about myself, I will be wearing my tallest, highest, pair of pumps.. and I KNOW i will feel better! Who cares where you're going to go with them on. My favourite pumps for this season is the from Gucci - black patent leather platform pumps, the exact inches of this master piece is 5. Gucci should consider making shoes for common people as well.

My new apartment. This is where I am living away from the sanctuary of my parents' home for the first time with my fabulous boyfriend Frank. I love it more everyday and I love nesting and making it feel like home. (photo courtesy of apartment therapy as I'm not yet ready for the reveal)
Wine and cheese. My girlfriends and I have a tradition of wine and cheese nights and try to shamelessly outdo each other with new, better, prettier tastes! I'm waiting to serve Liza's famous cheeseball but I'm afraid the secret recipe is never coming.

Pretty colours. I didn't know what to call my latest colour obsession for this season, actually, I still don't know. It went from nude pink, dusty pink, pastel pink, toasted pink..etc. I've decided the best way to describe this shade is, to envision a piece of pale pink fabric being left out in the sun for days on end and voila! Vintage Pink

Tweezerman tweezers. I swear by these! I'm an asian girl that has extremely bushy eyebrows. Yeah that's right, it's tragic. They use to look like a pair of caterpillar's across my forehead. I realized this fact when I was old enough to pluck them in the 9th grade. Let's just say my brows got worse before they got better. As a result, I like to take great care of them, to make up for all the abuse of over plucking during my high school years.


69 Vintage. This fabulous previously loved clothing store makes you feel like a fashion insider. I love to pilfer through the not yet hung items on the floor for the gem that hasn't flown out of the store yet.
Chloe fragrance. My first encounter with this scent was during my visit to St.Johns, Antigua. My dear friend Sunny Derrick greeted my arrival at the airport with this intoxicating chloe scent.I bought the biggest bottle they carried at duty free.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Love your list Mel! and i will give you the 'secret' cheeseball recipe.

lit girl said...

love the list and "inspiration" I feel like I know the people in your life through your blog .... melissa sounds lovely......I agree about the tweezerman's and the vintage pink ! And now I am wanting my own apartment again with my bed on the floor !

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin